Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Abilities

Abilities, what does the bible say about abilities?

I was studying for my continuing message series on stewardship, when I came to Matt. 25:15. Now I have read and re-read this portion of scripture many times, and one thing just really jumped out at me this time that I read this verse again.

When the man that is mentioned gives to his servants the talents, (to one he gave five, to another he gave two, and to another he gave one), I noticed that the bible says that he gave them according to their "several ability". Now, I wondered just what the Lord was saying here. This is what the Lord gave me as I studied.

As to the one with five talents, according to his ability he must have been able to accomplish more with the ability that he had. The scripture says that he "went and traded with the same, and made them other five talents". The second servant did likewise, and of course we know that the other servant went and buried his because he was afraid of what might happen should he lose it or would not to be able to gain more for his lord. What stuck out to me was not the fact that the servant did nothing with his talent, but that each one had ability to do better only if they would apply it.

How often do we use the ability the Lord has given each of us? Not everyone, (man), is called to preach, not everyone, (man), is called to be an evangelist, and not everyone has the ability to carry a tune. What is amazing though is everyone does have the ability to do something to glorify God. It could be as simple as mowing the grass, or as simple as vacuuming the carpet at the church. It could be as simple as shaking a visitors hand and welcoming them to the service, or how about this, as simple as praying that God would bless the pastor and the members of his or her church.

It's amazing what abilities we really have if we would just stop and think for a moment, that we do not all have to be able to sing, or be able to teach a class to have an ability that God wants to use. He will use what ever we have if we give it to him freely and willfully. He took five loaves and two fish and fed over five thousand with plenty left over. WHAT COULD HE DO WITH US?

1 comment:

  1. I desire to be used according to the several ability God has given me. Not holding back, even one of the talents.

    ReplyDelete