Tuesday, March 24, 2009

No greater than John.

I've often wondered why Jesus would make a such a statement about a man that undoubtedly was a true man of God, but yet was a man that was still born under the curse of sin. Here is what the Lord gave me on Saturday two weeks ago.

As I was studying for my Sunday morning message, my studies took me in the direction of this verse, Matt. 11:11. And, again I read this verse and was puzzled once more. However this time the word that came to my mind was in no way my own, but was a word from the Lord. At no other time had the thought, the answer to what had alluded me for some time, ever come to me before.

John the Baptist was of course the "forerunner" to Christ. One who baptized with water, but was laying the foundation for the one who would baptize with the Holy Ghost, only for those who would truly believe. At this time John was asking a question about if this was the real Messiah or should they be looking for another. Jesus answered by saying that they, (Johns Disciples), need to carry back to him the message of what they had heard and had seen done. Now, Jesus speaking to the multitudes, made the proclamation "Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he."

This is what is meant, John the Baptist was brought to light in the New Testament but was the last of the Old Testament prophets. He, like others before him, Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Zechariah, prophesied of a coming Savior that would take away the sins of the world. However, what is different is, only John the Baptist was the only Old Testament prophet that saw Christ face to face, and was the only one that was able to physically touch the Savior. What an honor John had to be the one that would actually see the one that he prophesied about, and to actually touch him. John the Baptist was no doubt a very persuasive prophet to have disciples himself and to persuade others to believe one that would come later on. We know that today we have to be persuasive ourselves to get others to believe what they can't see. However we know where the Spirit of God is anything is possible.

I would like to see your comments, whether they be positive or negative.

2 comments:

  1. Amen! What an honor it was for John to have touched, talked with and even baptize the Savior! I think there were many reasons Jesus said what He did about John, but I do agree with what you said. It is always good when the Spirit of God sheds light on a particular passage of scripture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was given the choice, I would not pick John the Baptist as my role model. I would probably choose about anyone else. And then the Lord said what he did and I think maybe I should look at those I set up as successful in my life. The "dress for success" idea would be thrown out, that is for sure. Really good post one that makes you think.

    ReplyDelete